Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Poems of the Day - 9

Much stronger start from Poetry Daily this week! The Fatal Shore by William Logan is gloomy but the images are imaginative and thought-provoking, not easily summed up. The final image of the Myrmidons plays on the fact that they were Achilles’ fiercest, most disciplined warriors. However, the word over time became synonymous with robotic behaviour, activity without creativity. “Myrmidons out of work” takes a little unpacking, but it works really well as an ending. Everything in the poem tends towards death and intimation of mortality. I didn’t think the “cracked jam-jar” added anything to the picture and wasn’t a particularly striking simile. I’ll have to think further about the “lost Renaissance studies with a sepia cast” image – no more time at the moment – but I thought this poem was good work. 4½/6

At No Tell Motel, Micki Myers gives us OMG! What Hath God Wrought! Aboard the Sully, 1832. I enjoyed this one too. The first ever coded message sent out by Samuel Morse was “What God hath wrought.” The poem concerns the subconscious events that might have led Morse to the invention of his code. My favourite was the imprint of the canvas chair. I wondered if there might have been a better way to deal with the material than the repeated “if only” phrases? Easy for me to suggest that, of course! Not so easy to find alternatives. 3½/6

1 comment:

Jane Holland said...

Rob - many thanks for the prompt photo emailing. ;)

I was up until 4.30am working on various files, and then back at my desk for 8.30am. The mag's nearly done though. All Chris has to do is upload it all at his end - which will probably take several days or something!

Exhausted now!

Jx