Thursday, July 23, 2009

Just Say No

Before I went on holiday, I had several reviews to write but work was really busy and I felt really tired out. I read the books and pamphlets but couldn’t focus enough to say anything about them. However, I’ve now gone about systematically reducing the backlog and have finished two pamphlet reviews for Sphinx – of The Terrors by Tom Chivers (Nine Arches) and Hem And Heid by James Robertson (Kettillonia). One more and I can start on various book reviews (when I say ‘start’, I’ve read all the books carefully and have made notes – just the writing of them left to do).

However, I’m going to have to cut my reviewing. I just don’t have time and it’s this which caused my panic and subsequent paralysis in June. ‘Just say No’ is my motto for the rest of the year. I will review for Sphinx and for the new Echo from the Canyon online review journal, but that’s going to be it. No more needless stress!

1 comment:

David Floyd said...

"I read the books and pamphlets but couldn’t focus enough to say anything about them."

I have this problem when I'm trying to do loads of reviewing.

And I think poetry is harder to review than prose because when you're reviewing other stuff there's often easy options for padding - if it's a novel you can explain the plot, if it's a political book you can express some vaguely relevant ideas of your own - that don't work when you're reviewing poetry.

I enjoy doing poetry reviews but I can't just churn them out.