Monday, February 27, 2006

Helen McCookerybook

I was reading Stephen Burt’s blog and was amazed to find that Helen McCookerybook has a blog.

Helen McCookerybook was lead singer of lo-fi band The Chefs in the 1980s. I used to listen to The Chefs on the John Peel show on Radio 1, which played music no one else on the radio even dreamt of playing. As a result, I rushed out to buy The Chefs' first(?) single 24 Hours, and I still have it. In fact, it still sounds like a great pop record.

She went on to play in a band called Helen and the Horns, which was exactly what it sounds like.

And now she turns up again in Blogland, writing a book on Lost Women in Rock, and still recording and playing gigs, including one "with poets".

Fab!

1 comment:

Helen McCookerybook said...

Hello Rob, Happy Christmas Rob!
I hope you can come to one of my gigs on day; I'm having a lot of fun playing again after all these years..

H McC
:)