Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Glastonbury

Yesterday afternoon I heard a radio announcement on the line-up at this year’s Glastonbury music festival. There were to be several “surprise acts”, the DJ said, including “Shakin’ Stevens, Leonard Cohen, and Gilbert O’Sullivan.”

My jaw dropped. Why is mention of Cohen sandwiched between two singers from the 70s and 80s who, at best, will be ironic retro novelty acts? Why is it such a surprise that Cohen, who has written and recorded his material over decades, and continues to do so, might be asked to perform his stuff?

Beats me.

3 comments:

Colin Will said...

I'd heard Cohen will be performing in Edinburgh - Castle Esplanade - but I don't know the date.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I think the surprise is because he doesn't come over here very often. I think its the 16 July that he'll be at the Castle. It sold out within a couple of hours I think, but we got tickets!

Pearl said...

especially since he's broke from his savings being absconded. the man needs to work.