Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Magma, Skein of Geese, and The Journal

Today, the new issue (number 40) of Magma arrived, edited by Roddy Lumsden. Hard to know where to start.

There’s always the cover featuring six young poets, including the lovely Eloise Stonborough (who has a fine poem in there too) - you’re now a star, Eloise! Or the interview with all six inside. Or the first poems, written by one of the featured poets in September at the Great Grog Bar readings, Charlotte Runcie. Or you could check out poems by Ben Wilkinson, Tony Williams, James Midgley, or A.B. Jackson. And in addition to all that and much much more, two poems by me (‘Moving On’ and ‘The Listeners’), and reviews by myself (on John Ashbery and CD Wright) and by Katy Evans-Bush.

In addition, I received my contributor’s copy of Skein of Geese. Last year at the StAnza Poetry Festival, a historical poetry event took place: the Hundred Poets Gathering. In fact, there were 103 poets, as a few were held in reserve in case of illness etc. It was an amazing day with poems read by the likes of Robert Crawford, Douglas Dunn, Cheryl Follon, Hazel Frew, Jen Hadfield, WN Herbert, Alexander Hutchison, AB Jackson, Jackie Kay, me, Helena Nelson, Ruth Padel, Alastair Reid, Penelope Shuttle, Mark Strand, George Szirtes, Tim Turnbull, and loads more people. All the poems have been compiled in the Skein of Geese anthology, which will be available for sale at only £5 from April, for as long as stocks last. I’ll post a reminder nearer the time.

Finally, I’ve just heard that the new issue of The Journal is out, including two of my poems, both from The Clown. Sam Smith, the editor, asked if he could republish them. The issue also contains poems from HappenStance poets, Patricia Ace (reading at the Great Grog in November), Martin Cook, and Gill McEvoy.

2 comments:

Matt Merritt said...

Always one of my favourite mags, Magma, but this sounds more essential than ever, Rob. Look forward to seeing it.

Rob said...

What I've read so far has been very good, Matt - both the poems and the prose. I think Roddy should start a magazine and do this more often!