Thursday, February 05, 2009

Against Time

This week has been terribly busy and I’ve had hardly any time even to think about blogging. Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to the readings on Sunday evening from Tim Turnbull, Jane McKie, Andrew Shields and Alan Gay. At the last minute I’ve had to switch venue from the Great Grog Bar to St Cuthbert’s Church Hall (5 Lothian Road – just behind the big St John’s Episcopal Church on the corner of Princes Street and Lothian Road). I’ve tried to get the news out to as many people as possible. The reason is due to rugby – see the Poetry at the Great Grog site for full details. However, the new venue will be good and is still very central. We’ll kick off about 8.10pm.

I haven’t read much in the last fortnight. I got through one chapbook which I’m to review for Sphinx, but it hasn’t exactly bowled me over – there are three more, one of which I’ve read a part of. I like some of it.

Andrew Philip and I have been gearing up for our books launch on March 11th at the SPL (we also are reading at the Glasgow Mirrorball on 5th March). Sometimes we’re worried we might not have enough seats in the SPL to fit everyone in. Other times, we think almost no one is going to turn up and the whole thing will be a disaster. I wish there was such a thing as a “sure thing” in poetry, but there doesn’t seem to be.

Andrew Shields is arriving from Switzerland this afternoon. Lots to do before then, so I better get moving. I lost a few hours yesterday dealing with the Great Grog venue situation, hours I could really do with being given back now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fair play tho' Rob, you got there in the end, with the shift in venue. I like poetry readings in churches. Up in Dublin, Poetry Ireland tend to stage a lot of their Dublin book launches and readings in the Unitarian Church on Stephen's Green. I have even read from the pulpit there myself - it's a great kick to reverse the roles, & I often marvel at the messages of the stain glass windows in contrast to the poetry being read (especially nice over a glass of wine too ;) )